If you’ve been hit with monthly fees on your checking account, now is the time to make a change. Not all banks have adopted this new practice and some of the best deals can be found with free online checking accounts. Of course, that’s not your only option. But it just might the best one.
The first place to look is locally. Local banks and credit unions have to work harder to compete with the major banks. This usually means free checking accounts, but it comes with the limitations of being local.
Next you have the few remaining regional and major banks. Many offer some type of free checking account, if you jump through all the hoops. This usually means setting up direct deposit, maintaining a minimum balance, or monthly transaction limits.
The last bastion of hope for free checking is found online. Free online checking accounts are alive, well and thriving. Let’s face it our money is going digital and innovation has made online banking easier than going to the local branch.
Best Free Checking Accounts
If you’re willing to take a walk on the wild side and give up the local branch, teller windows, monthly fees, and constant need to jump through hoops, then check out these online checking accounts. You can find no monthly fees, free ATM networks, and even perks like rewards programs and interest bearing checking accounts. All of these online banks are FDIC insured and take online security seriously.
- No Minimums, No Monthly Fees – % APY
- Over 38,000 free ATMs – easily find the closest free ATM in the network through the Allpoint tracker.
- Free Online Bill Pay - no charges for any online payments.
- Deposit From Anywhere – easily make deposits with the Checkmate mobile app or image upload online.
- No Monthly Fees
- Earn Interest – no minimum balance requirements to earn interest on your money.
- Make Deposits From Home – easily scan and submit your deposits from home.
- Minimum Opening Balance – a $1,500 initial deposit required to open an account
- No Minimum Deposit, No Monthly Fees
- Earn Interest - no minimum balance requirement to earn interest on your money.
- No ATM Fees – access any ATM nationwide free of charge. When other banks charge you, get those ATM fees reimbursed.
- Earn Money Back with Ally Perks – get cash back when you shop at select retailers with your Ally debit card.
- Make Deposits From Home – just scan and submit checks with Ally eCheck Deposits or use the Ally Mobile App.
- Read our Ally Bank review