Welcome to the end of the week and Happy Hour! Sit back, relax, and check out some of my more interesting finds this week.
Saving for retirement is hard enough regardless of the plan. We have to know how much we want to retire with, how much to save, what funds to invest in, fund costs, and a whole list of other issues all while dealing with the daily swings of the markets. We might get more clarity, or transparency on one issue in the future. That’s at least some good news for the 401k users out there and a topic I’ll cover after a bit a research.
A Bigger Internet
Apparently the internet was too small. At least how it was initially designed. Back on June 6, the IPv6 was officially launched. What is IPv6 you ask? It’s just IPv4 on steroids. What’s IPv4? IPv4 made a huge number of IP addresses available. Much like phone numbers, anything connected to the internet is given an IP address. Apparently we ran out, or we’re going to run out. So a bunch of really smart people came up with IPv6 (not sure what happened to IPv5) to add a butt load more IP addresses.
Anyways Google explains all this and that basically nothing will change and most won’t know it even happened. So I thought I should mention it. Because now we can all sit at home and stay connected through our phone, tv, computer, notebook, laptop, game console, and Blu-Ray all at the same time.
- Joshua Foer: Feats Of Memory Anyone Can Do – Here’s a cool, 20 minute video on how to train your memory. It has nothing to do with finance, just thought it was interesting.
- The Dreaded Bond Vigilantes Are Coming – A nice take on why we shouldn’t worry about a bond run anytime soon. Or even higher rates.
- Yes, Dividends. Almost Always – Here’s a short and sweet reminder about why dividends, specifically high dividend yields work. And it comes with a colorful graph.
- Europe: Get Ready For A Surprise Endgame! – A great writeup about a possible outcome in Europe, why it takes time, and how we should be looking at possible investment potential.
- Hey, That Famous ‘Skills Shortage’ You’ve Heard About? It’s a Myth – I think the title says it all.