Welcome to the end of the week and another edition of Happy Hour! Just sit back, relax, and enjoy your end of the week roundup of all things interesting in the land of money.
Fancy Paper Bags
It wasn’t too long ago that using paper bags was no better than killing a tree. Just wasteful and bad for the environment. Apparently, when it’s a Jil Sanders $290 Brown paper bag, it doesn’t matter. It features brown stitched seams with gold-colored eyelets and the designers name printed on it. The best part, it’s made of 100% coated paper.
When did paper bags become an accessory…without a forty of Olde English inside. Seriously, $290 for a fancy paper bag! And it’s sold out!
The last days of summer are here with Labor Day weekend. A day to celebrate the American worker and the fruits of your labor. For those fancy brown bag folks, Labor Day marks the last day to wear white and seersucker. Just so you know! It’s also the start of college football. Have a great weekend!
- Hedge Fund Proposal Would Allow Secretive Enclave to Open Up – the JOBS Act opened the door for hedge funds to advertise. A controversial topic worth keeping an eye on.
- The SEC is Making a Mistake – An interesting opinion piece on hedge fund ads. Remove the performance aspect, the issue is unsophisticated investors being swayed to move money into hedge funds without really knowing and understanding the risks.
- Gold Standard – moving back to a gold standard has been tossed around by a few conservatives as a great idea. The IGM’s Economic Experts Panel weighs in on the stupidity of the idea.
- How to Invest for Profits and Joy – A great how to list for new and old investors. It may not be fun all the time but investing should still be fun.
- Postponing Retirement Indefinitely – some scary stats but if you follow the list above it shouldn’t even be a concern.