Welcome to the end of the week and another edition of Happy Hour! Just sit back, relax, and enjoy your end of the week roundup of all things interesting in the land of money.
Mickey Meet Darth
Disney pulled off a big purchase this week buying Lucasfilm. It’s the company behind the Star Wars franchise and a few others. If you thought George Lucas was good at merchandising, you haven’t seen anything. Disney has turned licensing into an art form. Just look at what it has done with the Marvel acquisition. Which has been its focus over the past several years.
It’s no secret Disney has looked for quality assets with a built-in fan base to drive profits. ESPN anybody. The bigger story might just be the changing TV model. The consumers ability to unplug from the cable subscription model and still access programming will only get easier. Something Disney is actively pursuing.
Having the Star Wars franchise just increases Disney’s potential for long-term success. For all you Disneyland purists, get ready for a Darth Vader invasion.
5 More Days
Five days and counting until we get back those annoying non political ads.
- Warren Buffett’s Wise Words – As usual Buffett offers some common sense advice for the average investor.
- Can You Trust Your Stockjobber? – It seems investor behavior hasn’t changed since at least 1690. Or it did and we just recently reverted back to the old way of thinking.
- Another Victory Lap For Value Investing – Value investing is a simple concept that most investors fail to use. Which is probably why it works so well.
- A Comparison of the Long-Term Economic Effects of the Obama and Romney Tax Plans – One last thing before you vote. Though realistically, Congress would have to pass a plan before anything happens.
- I Would Vote for Gov Romney if He Was a Democrat – Mark Cuban takes some liberties with a bit of political fantasy.