Welcome to the end of the week and Happy Hour! Sit back, relax and enjoy a few things that I’ve read this past week.
The Fed Statement Translation
The Fed released its monthly statement this week without any major surprises. Jack Hough wrote a tongue in cheek translation of it, The Fed in 57 Words, which can give you a gist of the economy at the moment. Basically, unemployment is too high, people are spending more because gas prices are too high, and Europe is still screwed up. Tell me something I didn’t know.
I have to say the NFL Draft is the ultimate tease for all the football fans out there, myself included. Somehow the fate of your team suddenly boils down to a draft pick. As if a single player will instantly propel your team to Superbowl greatness. Then watch as the analysts and fans scrutinize and criticize each pick. For most of these players, we won’t see an immediate impact, if any, for several years. Yet, I find myself watching anyways, with everyone else.
- Taxmageddon: Will We See A Huge Tax Increase Due To Expiring Tax Breaks At End Of 2012? – Tax season is never really over. Looking ahead there are several tax changes potentially happening at the end year that we all need to keep an eye on.
- My Top Investment Picks For The Future – It may not be the answers you expect or want to hear but for most investors, its great advice.
- Apple at $2,000 as the Dow Doubles – The typical shock media headlines finally used for good. This breaks down views on talking head predictions, fee investing, and diversification.
- Student loan rate hike: What you need to know – Back in 2007, our politicians passed phased-in lower rates on student loans that expire for the 2012-2013 school year. A great idea, except it all ends on July 1st.
- Tech Billionaires Plan Audacious Mission to Mine Asteroids – The future of raw materials is in space, at least for a few well-known investors. It’s crazy ideas like this that just might work, someday.